OGXbox.com

Sata/Ide Adapter

wikati

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a modded OGXbox (I used the softmod where you had to switch HDDs while powered up, but it's been so long since I did it I've forgotten specifics) and I used an old Maxtor 100GB IDE drive.  I'd like to transfer all contents of this drive (including games and any special mod boot files) to a Seagate 1TB SATA drive.  This topic is a good starting point since it lists recommended SATA adapters.  But can someone point me to a topic that actually shows me how I transfer & clone the contents of my old Maxtor to a Seagate 1TB drive, if this is in fact even possible?  Thanks in advance.

20 hours ago, XboxMon said:

I have a modded OGXbox (I used the softmod where you had to switch HDDs while powered up, but it's been so long since I did it I've forgotten specifics) and I used an old Maxtor 100GB IDE drive.  I'd like to transfer all contents of this drive (including games and any special mod boot files) to a Seagate 1TB SATA drive.  This topic is a good starting point since it lists recommended SATA adapters.  But can someone point me to a topic that actually shows me how I transfer & clone the contents of my old Maxtor to a Seagate 1TB drive, if this is in fact even possible?  Thanks in advance.

The latest version of the Hexen disk has cloning software on it to do this and a bunch of other stuff. The process is not to taxng it just takes a while. You take the dvd out and use a molex splitter to power the HD, run the software and then just sit back and wait, make a coffee and it may be ready after drinking it.

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2018 at 4:34 PM, big F said:

The latest version of the Hexen disk has cloning software on it to do this and a bunch of other stuff. The process is not to taxng it just takes a while. You take the dvd out and use a molex splitter to power the HD, run the software and then just sit back and wait, make a coffee and it may be ready after drinking it.

My Xbox is softmodded with UnleashX so I'm assuming this will transfer everything over to the new HDD.  I'm afraid I'm one of those step-by-step dummies so I'm wondering if this youtube tutorial is describing what you're saying here, with the exception of using standalone Chimp instead of Hexen 2018.  Also, the SATA drive I plan to replace the IDE one with is a full size 1..5TB Seagate.  Is there a list somewhere of compatible drives?  I heard it needs to have the ability to be locked, whatever that means.  Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, ironsniper1 said:

hey everyone, i am in need of some sata adapters and was wondering what everyone is using for one right now?

I use the StarTech adapter per recommendation by others in this topic.  I wouldn't trust the cheaper chinese SATA-to-IDE adapters described in this topic.  The StarTech worked fine in my OG Xbox.  You pay a little more but get extra reliability.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:46 PM, wikati said:

i mean, in hindsight i guess i deserve a zapped drive... but shucks... i thought we were gonna be just fine!!!

20180103_213758.jpg

20180103_213820.jpg

20180103_213827.jpg

This is the adapter I have used for my last 31 builds since 2016, purchase them from china. They have had a little crud on them but nothing like that.

I keep up with most of the people I sold them to and all I know of are still working. 3 of my own Xboxes are used regularly and have had no issue. I have also used them for custom arcade cabinet builds and those 6 still work fine, and have very fast boot and load times.

A lot of them have issues right from the start though, about 25% of the boards I bought did not work. I use a 200GB SATA hard drive for testing before connecting them to a good drive. None have ruined my test hard drive yet.

It seems like if they work fine, they will keep working. but with only 3 years using one regularly I just don't know. If mine did not work I could not get them working. I removed the junk solder from the joints at the connectors, and reflowed 90% of the board to see if I could bring them back, but no go! All 5 I tried to revive stayed dead, although the boards now look pretty.

I will be testing speed times for boot and game loads soon. I will compare this same board to a Sabrent. 

20181203_023950.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ironsniper1 said:

my only issue with those is cost, i need 3 of them and the only place i can get them is ebay at 20 dollars each and i dont want to get the cheap ones cause they go bad, unless ya'll think replacing the caps on them will keep them from going bad

I bought them because the 2 out of 3 seem to work great. I'm sure one will go sooner or later. But most electronics will eventually die. There were a lot used by me so I saved a ton. There are china dealers that sell them for like $4.90

• 2 weeks later...

I have kept an eye on this topic as I would rather save a few bucks on the "mass production" machines I build and use the cheap adapter. And at this point I am not worried about failure and in these use cases, not worried about performance either. But, I don't want to lather it up with liquid electrical tape as thats just not good form to me.

So, here is my discovery. I stumbled this design and wondered why i hadn't thought of this before. 

814936244106f40c68e6ad17ca034b50_display_large.jpg

07fc0a6ab0f3838e8b6100d3e10ceeb8_preview_featured.jpg

968c0cf27332636c189b92428f4891c6_preview_featured.jpg

SATA_IDE_Xbox_adapter.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24 December 2018 at 3:11 AM, IPTDF00 said:

I have kept an eye on this topic as I would rather save a few bucks on the "mass production" machines I build and use the cheap adapter. And at this point I am not worried about failure and in these use cases, not worried about performance either. But, I don't want to lather it up with liquid electrical tape as thats just not good form to me.

So, here is my discovery. I stumbled this design and wondered why i hadn't thought of this before. 

814936244106f40c68e6ad17ca034b50_display_large.jpg

07fc0a6ab0f3838e8b6100d3e10ceeb8_preview_featured.jpg

968c0cf27332636c189b92428f4891c6_preview_featured.jpg

SATA_IDE_Xbox_adapter.zip

Nice, looks like I might have to get printing some of these. 

Seeing as Pata drives are like hens teeth with any decent capacity and, usually used and over priced, its Sata for the win IMO.

• 1 month later...