Welcome to our site

Take a moment to join us. You can sign in with Facebook with a couple of clicks. No need for a lengthy registration. We also have Tapatalk support so you can use this forum on your phone the same way you use facebook. It will keep you notified.

Sign in to follow this  
wikati

Ide Cable

good advice, havent been clear on length for the stock case. it would likely still work tho? have you got any Canadian sources for 80 wire cables?

The round cables are too stiff to fold to fit the case. 

A flat 24" cable works best flipped end-to-end compared to normal PC installation. HDD connector to motherboarfd and vice versa.80-wire IDE Cables Measured Side-by-side Comparison.jpg

A flat 18-19" cable requires many folds and twists with a tight fit. A 24" cable works much better.

5-Cable contortion 2.jpg

Connector on the left goes to the motherboard IDE header and on the right to the HDD. The DVD drive attaches to the center connector.

Please login or register to see this code. Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 2

KaosEngineer, thank you!

Good info, I ended up getting 36" cables where i found stock. I read elsewhere that a longer cable is not necessarily a problem, can anyone confirm?

Cannot confirm as I've only used the 18.5" and 24" 80-wire 40-pin cables.  IDE spec states longest should be 18" so 24's pushing the spec's designated max length let alone 36". 

Try it as is I think I've read that other's have used 36" cables.  Or,...

Remove the end connector (largest gap end) cut off some cable and re=crimp it on the opposite side as shown above. The stock cable has motherboard and DVD connectors protruding from the same side but the HDD to the opposite side.

Edited by KaosEngineer

-an opportunity to learn from people you'd otherwise maybe never be involved with

Thanks KE I was hesitant to explore this avenue but basically assumed i knew what was going on with these cables. I'm sure i can fill in the blanks now with google.

So in the end, even if the cable IS too long, and IS causing problems they can be shortened.

Long cable FTW

ive used these Please login or register to see this link.

they fit but there is a huge amount of slack. i just leave it rolled up(neatly) and keep the band on it. it tucks nicely under the dvd drive.

Edited by cOrPsE
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, cOrPsE said:

ive used these Please login or register to see this link.

they fit but there is a huge amount of slack. i just leave it rolled up(neatly) and keep the band on it. it tucks nicely under the dvd drive.

Thanks for that. I have them on the way from another vendor in 36" as well. Nice to know these will work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Glen Britt said:

Ive always used 24 inch startech ones from amazon. havent had a problem

those are really nice but really expensive atm, and only 3 in stock. the one i linked is only $6 shipped

Please login or register to see this link.

Ill let you know how these go... 36" on the way... lots of cable hope they are easy to shorten, and if not ill get fancy.

I got these, they were 1.27$ each. they only had 36" in stock but they are 80 conductor/40 pin cables.

20180105_183126.jpg

57 minutes ago, wikati said:

I got these, they were 1.27$ each. they only had 36" in stock but they are 80 conductor/40 pin cables.

20180105_183126.jpg

sorry, just tested this and it works perfectly.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Derek Bowes said:

cool. just ordered same

happy to hear that. you got a smoking deal then. i was skeptical receiving 8 of these for like 18$ shipped. no problems at all. and overtime you figure out how to orient the cable with good folding and installs nice and clean.