OGXbox.com

Ide Cable

wikati

The round cables are too stiff to fold to fit the case. 

A flat 24" cable works best flipped end-to-end compared to normal PC installation. HDD connector to motherboarfd and vice versa.80-wire IDE Cables Measured Side-by-side Comparison.jpg

A flat 18-19" cable requires many folds and twists with a tight fit. A 24" cable works much better.

5-Cable contortion 2.jpg

Connector on the left goes to the motherboard IDE header and on the right to the HDD. The DVD drive attaches to the center connector.

Original Xbox 80-wire IDE Cable Specifications
============================================================================
7.5" centers between MB and DVD drive connectors
14.5" centers between DVD and HDD connectors
|<--------------------------22" overall length------------------------->|

Cable Connector Layout
                                                                        |HDD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
|MB                   |DVD
 \___________________/ \_______________________________________________/
       7.5"                                   14.5"
Cable for original Xbox 80-wire IDE cable

Key
- = 80-wire ribbon cable
| = 40-pin IDE connector
80-wire cable 22.5-23 inches actual length depends on how much cable is
required to fold over to install the strain-relief at each end.
Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 3

Cannot confirm as I've only used the 18.5" and 24" 80-wire 40-pin cables.  IDE spec states longest should be 18" so 24's pushing the spec's designated max length let alone 36". 

Try it as is I think I've read that other's have used 36" cables.  Or,...

Remove the end connector (largest gap end) cut off some cable and re=crimp it on the opposite side as shown above. The stock cable has motherboard and DVD connectors protruding from the same side but the HDD to the opposite side.

Edited by KaosEngineer

-an opportunity to learn from people you'd otherwise maybe never be involved with

Thanks KE I was hesitant to explore this avenue but basically assumed i knew what was going on with these cables. I'm sure i can fill in the blanks now with google.

So in the end, even if the cable IS too long, and IS causing problems they can be shortened.

Long cable FTW

ive used these https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-IDC40x3-TPO-Ultra/dp/B0062QSRVK/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512512790&sr=1-7&keywords=Dual+Drive+Ultra+ATA+IDE+Cable

they fit but there is a huge amount of slack. i just leave it rolled up(neatly) and keep the band on it. it tucks nicely under the dvd drive.

Edited by cOrPsE
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, cOrPsE said:

ive used these https://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-IDC40x3-TPO-Ultra/dp/B0062QSRVK/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512512790&sr=1-7&keywords=Dual+Drive+Ultra+ATA+IDE+Cable

they fit but there is a huge amount of slack. i just leave it rolled up(neatly) and keep the band on it. it tucks nicely under the dvd drive.

Thanks for that. I have them on the way from another vendor in 36" as well. Nice to know these will work.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Derek Bowes said:

cool. just ordered same

happy to hear that. you got a smoking deal then. i was skeptical receiving 8 of these for like 18$ shipped. no problems at all. and overtime you figure out how to orient the cable with good folding and installs nice and clean.