OGXbox.com

Cloning an XBox Hdd With a Dual Sata Dock?

XC-3730C

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes...

What's the best way to clone a 2TB SATA Xbox HDD to another 2TB drive?

I have an Inateck FD2002 that is a dual SATA USB 3.0 dock, that has an offline cloning feature, but every time I try to clone my 2TB Xbox SATA HDD using the offline cloning feature, I initiate the clone function, then it briefly starts the process, but the dock restarts itself. The USB cable is not plugged into it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Another StarTech device that's superior to other similar devices (vis-à-vis their IDE-to-SATA adapters for ogXbox HDD upgrades) so is their disk duplicator for Xbox HDD cloning.

StarTech's duplicator docks perform sector-by-sector duplication not just partitioned filesystem/file copy duplication (although the latter method of duplication is said to be faster than sector-by-sector). 

Sounds like the Inateck FD2002 does the faster filesystem duplication, not sector-by-sector which doesn't work for embedded disk drive applications like cloning a 2TB SATA HDD for the Xbox console.

Amazon StarTech.com 6Gbps USB 3.0/eSATA to 2.5-Inch/3.5-Inch SATA Hard Disk Drive/Solid State Drive Duplicator Dock (SDOCK2U33RE) 

StarTech sells 5 different devices so make sure the one you decide upon in fact does sector-by-sector duplication before buying. Another Startech dock with USB 2.0/eSATA connectivity is the StarTech.com SATA Hard Drive HDD Duplicator Dock - eSATA USB Hard Disk Drive Duplicator - 2.5 / 3.5-Inch Hard Drive Cloner on the same page linked above.

Duplication method differences between SATA dual dock duplication stations mentioned here.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, XC-3730C said:
On 12/5/2017 at 11:29 AM, mkulrey13 said:
Ive cloned about 7 drives using this product offline 

http://a.co/f5SsvbY

Works great without any issues.

This does sector by sector cloning of Xbox formatted hard drives? The description of the product from the link you sent doesn't mention sector by sector offline cloning.

fair enough, but the fact remains he has successfully cloned about 7 drives.

ok, im not sure on this.
but cant you use chimp to clone specific partitions.
take the original drive and clone it to the 2TB,

then set up your partitions (identical to the other drive f&G or just F etc...) then chimp over ONLY the partitions you dont want to painfully FTP, (retain the original drives)

Personally i find when working with anything experimental my best friend is the original master drive.
In the past i've just cloned whatever is present and start making whatever changes i feel fit on the new drive. (ive found several cracked out soft mods that ive rescued via that method) changing anything on the stock drive scares me... i got a little gunshy after unlocking a master hdd.... so young, so dumb.

And when i began to edit my post i realized... this brilliant man is trying to take advantage of the incredible speed increase SATA brought to the world.

IM done, just delete me.

Edited by wikati

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
On 12/5/2017 at 10:29 AM, mkulrey13 said:

There are many that do sector-by-sector cloning but some of the latest generic devices only support Windows filesystem cloning. :(

If purchasing such a device for Xbox HDD cloning, verify that the device supports sector-by-sector cloning and you'll be good to go! :)

• 1 month later...

So I got my Startech SATDOCK2REU3 this xmas, I also bought the SAT2IDEADP adapter that allows me to connect IDE hdd's.

And the result is just excellent.

It cloned a 2TB xbox hdd for me and the whole process took 5-6 hours.

My old system was a v1.6 xbox with 2TB and a DUOX2 chip running a Evox bios.

My new cloned hdd is now running on a v1.2 xbox with 128 mb ram and a TSOP  using the ind-5004 bios.

The HDD i use are Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM006 7200 rpm

and Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM005 5400 rpm.

Later I used the sat2ideadp to make a bootable 160 gb PS2 HDD with FHDB.

I can definitely recommend this product to others if you like to do the same. :)

Edited by RoofTop
  • Like 1

On 06.01.2018 at 6:34 PM, XC-3730C said:
On 06.12.2017 at 3:29 AM, mkulrey13 said:

This does sector by sector cloning of Xbox formatted hard drives? The description of the product from the link you sent doesn't mention sector by sector offline cloning.

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2019 at 3:57 PM, RoofTop said:

So I got my Startech SATDOCK2REU3 this xmas, I also bought the SAT2IDEADP adapter that allows me to connect IDE hdd's.

And the result is just excellent.

It cloned a 2TB xbox hdd for me and the whole process took 5-6 hours.

My old system was a v1.6 xbox with 2TB and a DUOX2 chip running a Evox bios.

My new cloned hdd is now running on a v1.2 xbox with 128 mb ram and a TSOP  using the ind-5004 bios.

The HDD i use are Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM006 7200 rpm

and Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM005 5400 rpm.

Later I used the sat2ideadp to make a bootable 160 gb PS2 HDD with FHDB.

I can definitely recommend this product to others if you like to do the same. :)

Every time I start my clone it goes to the solid red light on Thebes 100% after a few min which means it failed any help please

12 hours ago, Scootdub said:

Every time I start my clone it goes to the solid red light on Thebes 100% after a few min which means it failed any help please

What docking device is it? 

Not all support sector-by-sector cloning in favor of a newer supposedly faster file cloning method for known filesystems; however, the Xbox's FATX filesystem is not one of the known filesystems and it will fail.

8 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Since they don't state that it can do sector-by-sector, I assume it does the files in known filesystems as it is to be, IIRC about 30% faster.  I posted the question at there website and am awaiting their response. 

The  manual didn't state the method used either.

I also assumed that as they advertising faster cloning it would not be sector by sector. 

Any freeware programmes that I can run from Windows computer, assuming the offline cloning of my Dock in incompatible. I know HDD RAW copy has been mentioned a few times.

I have used Acronis before for Windows cloning and am aware of clonezilla however again unsure of the clone method used. 

Edited by R9anSmart