OGXbox.com

Questions or Issues.

Rocky5

So totally depends on what you do with your XBox. I have several, all with different tasks and with that different sized drives. One has every one of my games saved to the drive, no neec to bother getting the disks out. It also has my emulators and all the roms and disks for them. Its drive is full and I could add more to it. 

I have one that plays media and had loads of dvds on it, it has two 320gb drives.

I have several with rather small drives just bigger than the factory 10gb and a couple with 10gb drives.

With most people here it really boils down to something like above or just that because you can.

Its the same reason I mess with 30 year old Amigas, getting them to do stuff that was eaither physically imposible or astronomically expensive back in 1989.

10 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Hey Rocky5 i used Chimp yesterday to clone my old 320gb drive to a new 2tb drive, today i read somthing about 64k clusters were needed. My question is would Chimp have taken care of that for me when it formatted the drive before cloning?

Chimp 261812 should format the extra space to use 64KB clusters.  You can double check that the extended partitions >512GB in size are using them by running XBPartition v1.3 and scrolling down to highlight partition 6 then 7.  The cluster size in use will be displayed in the bottom section of its display.

Again, only a partition >512GB in size needs to use 64KB clusters.  If the partition is improperly formatted, the text ER will appear to the left of the partition's size.

For a 2TB drive, partition 6 and 7's formatted size will be 927.78GB each.5c60e39854006_2TBHDDextendedpartitionsizes.jpg.38fcc9bb4d294b96d40e8e46d669a5c8.jpg
Source: https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=649&hilit=2tb  (XBPartitioner v1.1 shown in picture but use v1.3)

Note: If partition 6 and 7 are not 927.78GB's each, the drive is not formatted properly - a partition cannot be >1TB in size with 64KB clusters.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1

Thanks KE,

I did notice that my G seemed to be empty after cloning... something didn't quote go right but its all good. I planned on wiping F&G anyway. I just checked with XB Partitioner and the G partition had 1600+Gb so i have reformatted so F&G both have 927.78Gb now.

Thanks for the help. :)

Edited by nikeymikey
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have just used chimp to clone a drive from a softmodded xbox (rocky5 Softmod), the clone went well and completed successfully.  

But when i tried the new drive in the xbox it failed to boot, frags and gives the service is required message. I stuck the drive in another xbox which had an x3 and after telling the chip where the dash is locacted, it boots perfectly from the new drive.

Its a sata drive, i have used 2 Startech adapters in both the X3 box and for this new drive in the sotmodded xbox, the only thing thats different is that i dont have another 80wire ide cable for the softmodded box.

Would not having the 80wire cable cause the box not to boot from the sata drive or is there something else that i am not seeing???

Edited by nikeymikey

• 7 months later...
On 11/14/2019 at 12:28 PM, Granten said:

Hello,

I have a hardmodded xbox. When I wanna but up chimp, it stucks on the loading screen and doesn't boot up. What can I do?

I have a 1.6 xbox

What version of Chimp?  I know of at least 5 versions available on the net:  2618, 261811 and 3 slightly different versions of 261812.

Obtain the latest 261812 version from https://github.com/Rocky5/Chimp261812. Click on the Clone or download button then Download ZIP, extract its content and upload the E Partition/Chimp folder to the Xbox's hard drive E:\Apps or F:\Apps directory.

15 hours ago, Granten said:

I testet exactly this version of chimp from github and uploaded it to E:\Apps. I can run it on the dashboard, but after that the screen stuks on loading or when I start it from dvd2xbox the screen stuks on a black screen.

What video cable are you using? 

If using the high-res component video cable, try the standard definition cable with an old TV.   

• 6 months later...

Hello, issue here with Chimps cloning on my Xecuter 3 chipped xbox. Current drive is a 160GB from 2004 and I'm wanting to upgrade it before it gives out on me. Going to upgrade to a 500GB. The cloning itself works great, but for some reason it does not give me the option to select what I want to do with the extended partitions when I choose to clone f over.

Specifically, here are the ways I have tried:

Byte by byte (took all day, cloned, but of course I did not have the full drive space) (no way I am aware of to fix the partition sizes without formatting the drive)

Selective > C, E & F (cloned C and E but no F drive even showing up on the partition information in Chimps)

Selective > C, E, F & G Takes remaining space (cloned C and E, F shows up with proper space but did not clone any of that partition from master drive)

I would like to add that I earlier cloned a softmodded xbox and noticed that on my chipped box it is not giving me the option to choose how to handle the extra space at all. Normally I get the "Format Extended Partitions" menu on that xbox after I choose to do something involving one of them, but on here I do not get that men and can't choose what to do with them.

Am I missing something? Is this a feature (or lack thereof) of cloning with a chipped xbox? Is there a way I can fix this to be able to clone my F drive? I would rather not have to manually copy my backups and saves over, and at the moment Chimps is my only option for cloning. I really don't care if it takes all day, I just want to have a clone with the extra F-drive space!

EDIT: I see that the Extra Partition Setup menu only shows up for if you clone C & E. However, I want to clone C, E & F AND have F get the extra space. Also doesn't change that it doesn't seem to want to clone F no matter what I do...

Edited by MayorQwert
new info

IIRC, there needs to be an XBPartitioner partition table present on an already upgraded (larger than stock) hard drive. 

To write one to it, run the Xbox application XBP Table Writer before cloning your already larger than stock 8GB hard drive.

This application is part of Chimp 261812's github.com repository found in the E Partition folder.

Edit: Additionally, verify that the X3 BIOS is configured to use the partition table.

For the steps to enable the X3 BIOS to use the partition table if present, see: https://imgur.com/a/wZOUOov

• Thanks 1

I'll give that a shot but I first have a question. Any chance this will lead to any data loss on the F drive? I want to make sure I don't end up losing anything on the original drive by setting it to use a new partition table.

UPDATE: Nevermind, I realized it wouldn't be an issue and went ahead. Now it does show partition info for the master drive (did not before since it had the generic Xbox table). Trying to do a C, E, & F clone to see what happens. Currently cloning E so we'll see if F clones...

UPDATE: Success!!!! Now cloning F drive! Thanks for the help @KaosEngineer!

Edited by MayorQwert
  • Like 1

Well I'm back again with more trouble it seems! Have been able to clone it just fine and access games, but I cannot get it to let me access the full 500GB drive. When I clone C, E & F it gives me the total capacity I had with the 160 GB drive. I can choose "C, E, F & G get remaining" which gives G the remaining amount, but I cannot seem to access any games I put on the G drive when I do that... (I enabled G drive on my settings and FTP placed a "Games" folder in the directory, with an FTP friendly backup in there, but no luck...

Am I missing something?

\

3 hours ago, MayorQwert said:

So I accidentally reformatted F and G drive with partition table writer (whoops) and went to try to re-clone. But now I just get a refresh arrow when I launch chimp... Additionally the Xbox won't even boot anymore if I have the DVD drive connected...

Simple fix is fit a modchip then use a install DVD.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

2 hours ago, Ging3rguy said:

Can you boot to the softmod dashboard without the dvd drive connected?

As far as I know the DVD drive has to be connected to boot a softmod as it still uses the stock BIOS to startup then it loads the hacked files.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

All, this all is on an X3 modded system. So hardmod. It boots fine and works with OG HDD (The 160GB) but when I try to repeat the Chimps clone I don't ever get the prompt to connect the slave drive. In the prior cases I would boot with the new HDD connected already in place of the DVD drive and this worked with only slight startup animation stutter. I am worried this maybe led somehow to my current issues since now when I boot with the DVD drive connected it will constantly act like it is trying to read something. Part of me wonders if this is why I never get the dashboard or Xecuter logo, maybe it thinks there's a disc?

Anyway, I tried doing the swamp in the dashboard but when I start to plug in the data cable to my SATA adapter the dashboard thinks I inserted a DVD and goes to a black screen, forcing a reset. As before, if I go to Chimps I get a screen with a standard refresh arrow symbol in the center (you know, just a circular arrow) with a "B to exit" prompt that restarts the system. I am no longer getting any options to boot chimps.

Apologies if this is confusing at all. I can explain in greater detail or upload a video showing this if need be. The stutter I mention is just what it sounds like, about half a second of freeze and audio skip during the startup animation when I had the HDD connected in place of the DVD.