OGXbox.com

Questions or Issues.

Rocky5

On 26/09/2017 at 5:15 PM, Rocky5 said:

Any issues or question.

Above my pay grade so to speak, it’s not a simple task, and even at that Chimp Loader and Chimp ( Linux ) both use different xinput files. 

Its far simpler for people to use a official controller, as most Xbox system second hand come with one. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, XC-3730C said:

Can I use this to clone from one 2TB HDD to another 2TB HDD for use with a chipped XBOX? What if I only want to clone specific partitions (F or G) from one drive to another?

You would need to clone C and E along with F and G, as the drive has to be formatted first so the cluster size is correct. 

C and E take about 8 mins to clone ( the just under 5GB ), so you will be faster using a docking station and PC HDD cloning software.as the cloning speeds are far greater than IDE speeds on the Xbox. ( max 15MB/s )

3 hours ago, XC-3730C said:

Which cloning software for a PC? I thought Pc's don't read XBOX drives...

Windows can't read the FATX filesystem but doesn't need to.  You can't access the HDD to see the contents with Windows Explorer. 

PC cloning software that makes a sector-by-sector copy of one HDD to another without regards to the filesystem should work for same sized HDDs.   If changing drive sizes, I think PC cloning software will NOT work.

Without a modchip installed, the HDD has to be locked using the Xbox's EEPROM backup (HDDKey) where the HDD will be installed.

Edited by KaosEngineer

Use HD Raw Copy 1.10. Format the new drive in the PC and assign it a letter.. This way if you are using two of the same brand/model number you know which is which (my dock makes it look like they are identical). Then select your source drive (without a hard drive letter) and your target (one with letter). 2TB clone will take about 12 hours to finish. You can also buy a dock with offline cloning which can do the job in 5-6 hours on a 2TB but if you have any bad sectors (mainly on the host drive) it will sometimes fail.

Edited by Incursion64

Yea I have a dual SATA dock that supports up to 6TB drives per slot, and has a stand alone clone function. I will try it with a 500GB Xbox drive to see how it works (both the source and the target drives are identical).

Assuming there are no bad sectors, how reliable is using a dual SATA dock clone function? Will it work as well if I cloned from one 2TB drive to another 2TB drive, but they are both different brands/models (assuming there are no bad sectors)?

We have used them at work, provided the unformatted size is the same it should work if there are no bad sectors etc. 

Pc wise we also cloned 1tb to a 1.5tb, the 1.5tb ends up with 1tb and the 500 is wasted. 

Not sure if this would work on the xbox, or if Xbox HD tools could get it back and make a new partition afterwards.

worth a try though imo.

On 11/13/2017 at 8:26 PM, XC-3730C said:

Yea I have a dual SATA dock that supports up to 6TB drives per slot, and has a stand alone clone function. I will try it with a 500GB Xbox drive to see how it works (both the source and the target drives are identical).

Assuming there are no bad sectors, how reliable is using a dual SATA dock clone function? Will it work as well if I cloned from one 2TB drive to another 2TB drive, but they are both different brands/models (assuming there are no bad sectors)?

Most hard drives have extra (spare) sectors on each track if there are any bad sectors.  Those spare sectors are mapped by the drive to replace a small number of bad sectors.  Not exactly sure how many spare sectors current HDDs set aside for remapping.

Edited by KaosEngineer

• 10 months later...

hey @Rocky5 havent finished cloning yet (started a couple minutes ago) but the status screen is showing "invalid password for 'root""  and for "Unknown" a lot.
Should I be worried or is this normal?

Details:

-Softmodded

-current 80gb ide drive with up c, e and f drive
-target drive is 320gb ide 
-currently using the option to clone c,e,f > then give space after 137gb to drive G

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-13 at 2.17.13 PM.jpeg

Just a thought, where did the new drive come from,  reason is if you pulled it from a Branded pc, some of the manufacturers have been  know to put "special" firmware on the drives, which locks the computer owner to staying with them when upgrading the HDrive giving them an unsupported hardware error.  HP, Compaq, and Fujitsu have played this game I recall that Sony may have dabbled as well. Normally upgrading the drives firmware to the latest vanila version from the manufacturer fixes things.

Normally these drives work fine when not in the intended PC but in the past Ive seen some odd behaviour using them in other PCs , ghosted partitions that can be deleted but show up when partitioning the drive  and formatting issues when installing Windoze or Linux, dosent seem to be a problem when the drive is not being used as the boot  drive.

9 hours ago, big F said:

Hey @big F
to be completely honest, I wouldnt know. 
Got it from ebay, seemed a good deal cost-benefit. here's the link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitachi-Deskstar-0A33405-320GB-7200-Rpm-8MB-3-5-unidad-de-disco-duro-IDE-PATA-HD-/283096620011?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

The only thing I verified was for it to be lockable here:

http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

Yesterday It did complete the cloning process, however it only cloned my C & E.
and created a drive F with 120ish gbs leaving a lot of the HDD unused.

I didn't mind the info on the F partition, so I used XBPartitioner 1.3 (from downloader) to reformat that partition with allt he space (something like 250ish?)

It all went smooth for a while.

Latter, when i was FTPing stuff to that partition, something went wrong at some point of the night.
The Xbox turned off at some point and when i tried to boot it, it had Error 13 (dashboard failed to load)

So I'm currently re=cloning the drive; it seems this time i picked the correct option for it to clone the partition F as well. Its taking a sweet while to do it as expected.

My theory is, either I miss-selected the partitions options during the first cloning OR I had the auto-turn-off thingy active. 

Will keep you guys posted for curiosity satisfaction purposes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Rocky.  I have a OGXbox that's been soft-modded with UnleashX.  It's currently installed on a 100GB Maxtor IDE drive, along with all my Xbox games, UnleashX skins, settings, emulators and ROMS.  I want to transfer/clone everything to a Seagate 1TB using CHIMP and have it exactly like my current setup but with the extra hard drive space fully recognized for future installing of Xbox games and other data.  When I use Chimp, which option for Selective Clone should I use? 

37 minutes ago, XboxMon said:

Hi, Rocky.  I have a OGXbox that's been soft-modded with UnleashX.  It's currently installed on a 100GB Maxtor IDE drive, along with all my Xbox games, UnleashX skins, settings, emulators and ROMS.  I want to transfer/clone everything to a Seagate 1TB using CHIMP and have it exactly like my current setup but with the extra hard drive space fully recognized for future installing of Xbox games and other data.  When I use Chimp, which option for Selective Clone should I use? 

Selective, clone C, E, F and G takes remaining space. This will put the remaining space of the 1TB drive on G. All your stuff from F will be kept this way but the partition will be the same size as it originally was. ( no way to resize partitions )

also use chimp 261812 or you won’t get the options above. If you get an error about the drive being formatted with unleashx or evolutionx dashboards you will need to run the XBP Tabke Writer app that comes with Chimp 261812, this will let you write a partition table to the master drive allowing Chimp 261812 to clone the drive properly. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Rocky5 said:

Selective, clone C, E, F and G takes remaining space. This will put the remaining space of the 1TB drive on G. All your stuff from F will be kept this way but the partition will be the same size as it originally was. ( no way to resize partitions )

also use chimp 261812 or you won’t get the options above. If you get an error about the drive being formatted with unleashx or evolutionx dashboards you will need to run the XBP Tabke Writer app that comes with Chimp 261812, this will let you write a partition table to the master drive allowing Chimp 261812 to clone the drive properly. 

I have an issue with the new version of Chimp.  After disconnecting my DVD drive and connecting the 1TB drive, when I run Chimp it briefly shows the Chimp splash screen, then reboots my Xbox (I think) and of course I end up getting the "Service Required" error because no DVD drive is connected.  Is there a fix for this?

2 hours ago, XboxMon said:

I have an issue with the new version of Chimp.  After disconnecting my DVD drive and connecting the 1TB drive, when I run Chimp it briefly shows the Chimp splash screen, then reboots my Xbox (I think) and of course I end up getting the "Service Required" error because no DVD drive is connected.  Is there a fix for this?

Change the drive when Chimp loader has been loaded, it will ask you to change the drive and then press A.

also make sure your sata adaptor has a slave jumper position.

2 hours ago, Rocky5 said:

Change the drive when Chimp loader has been loaded, it will ask you to change the drive and then press A.

also make sure your sata adaptor has a slave jumper position.

No, I installed Chimp in the wrong folder so it didn't show up in Applications.  Once I did this it loaded and ran properly.  Great work, btw.  It cloned and partitioned my 1TB HDD perfectly.

• 3 months later...