OGXbox.com

Ide To Sata Adapter Comparison

OGXbox Admin

Agreed.

@TEK Nemesis: I noticed that you shorted two pins of the DVD power connector. AFAIK this method is supposed to trick the xbox into thinking a DVD drive is connected, which I hoped would elminate the added boot times I experienced when running the XBox without a DVD drive. Does your Xbox take longer to boot (or return to the dashboard) than with the whole DVD drive connected?

I tried this method once, but I killed my Xbox because I shorted the wrong pins 😕

It seems to me that Tek Nemesis's adaptor would still leave room for a DVD drive.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tosnic said:

Agreed.

@TEK Nemesis: I noticed that you shorted two pins of the DVD power connector. AFAIK this method is supposed to trick the xbox into thinking a DVD drive is connected, which I hoped would elminate the added boot times I experienced when running the XBox without a DVD drive. Does your Xbox take longer to boot (or return to the dashboard) than with the whole DVD drive connected?

The link at the back of the board in the DVD connector is to stop the eject led from flashing as it tells the board the DVD tray is closed and there is no disk.

You still need to use a bios that has the no DVD check option set

1521485784_DVDdeleatlink.jpg.1fe90921746c6bd6ae27ff6abc75117c.jpg 2067125486_DVDdeletecord.jpg.53ac45063c67b3855ad33c0e2f1ad7e8.jpg

What Bios are you using ?

What HDD and adaptor?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

5 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The link at the back of the board in the DVD connector is to stop the eject led from flashing as it tells the board the DVD tray is closed and there is no disk.

You still need to use a bios that has the no DVD check option set

1521485784_DVDdeleatlink.jpg.1fe90921746c6bd6ae27ff6abc75117c.jpg 2067125486_DVDdeletecord.jpg.53ac45063c67b3855ad33c0e2f1ad7e8.jpg

What Bios are you using ?

What HDD and adaptor?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Back in the day when I was using the setup without DVD-drive I had been using a modified UnleashX ("no DVD" enabled). What I did to make the LED stop flashing was to set the LED state in UX to solid green for all states 😉
But before long I returned the DVD drive into my Xbox, both for easy ripping and (mostly) to reduce the time it takes to enter the dashboard (I think I posted the measurements before in this thread).

I am using one of the noname SATA adaptors mentioned in my tests.

As for HDD, I am using a 2,5" Samsung 500 GB with 80-wire IDE cable.

On 5/23/2021 at 2:14 AM, big F said:

Tek Nemesis, just interested how you set the box up, with no DVD.   Do you just temp put a drive in via a standard Ide and ide to sata adaptor.

I've been modding for a while and my the stuff I have on my Xbox HDD has improved over time.  All I do is remove that HDD and clone it to a new HDD and then install that new HDD into the next Xbox.  (StarTech SATDOCK2REU3)