OGXbox.com

Flashing Green Ring / Won't Fully Boot or Read Disc

Dave C.

I got a system in today from eBay (of course in "Perfect Condition") except when I powered it up it had a Flashing Green Ring / Won't Fully Boot or Read Disc.

I opened it up and found that nice dent in the DVD drive.

Swapped out the drive and it worked fine.

Thanks for the assist Blake!

2017-08-17 15.01.57.jpg

The DVD drive didn't think the tray was closed and signalled the PIC processor of that fact.  As the PIC never received the tray closed signal, it held the Xbox in this state flashing the power ring GREEN on the front panel.  

Had this Xbox been opened before you did?  Not quite sure how the DVD drive could get such a big dent without the top shell being badly damaged/broken.  If opened before, most likely the seller had swapped the drive from a busted up Xbox.  (just my speculations on the situation)

Edited by KaosEngineer

On 8/19/2017 at 5:22 PM, Dave C. said:

It is amazing what people are trying to sell the DVD drives on eBay for.  I have purchased fully working machines in good condition for less.

You are so spot on...a good working box will cost you way less than piecing one together.  I bought some rubber pads cause I had no choice and those alone were about $5.  DVD drives and power supplies are a hot commodity and they are seriously overpriced.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...