OGXbox.com

Which Bios

Enemy Ai

Hi all

I have a couple of X3 chips and have picked up a couple of xboxes now. Before I get started, I was wondering what considerations I need to make.for example. Console version? X3 chip BIOS? Ive also seen different sizes of BIOS files. Not sure if this matters?

So basically, What is the investigation process that I should follow. I want to get everything ready before starting a tutorial.

Thanks

The X3 modchip has its own BIOS to support all the features of it.  It can also boot other modified BIOSes if you prefer.

X3 Build 3294 is the latest for the modchip from Team Xecuter.  It is 1MB in size and fills 4 of the modchip's 8 256KB banks which leaves 4 256 banks that can be used as either a 1MB bank, 2-512KB banks, 1-512KB bank and 2-256KB banks, or 4 separate 256KB banks.  

You need to make sure the version of the BIOS you flash is compatible with the Xbox version - 1.0-1.5 multi-version or specific build for v1.6s.

Edited by KaosEngineer

I have an X3 and have the bios setup as follows.

X3 2394 1mb

X2 latest 512k

EvoX M8 256k

iND Bios 256k

To be honest, I only flashed the non X3 bioses to the chip just because I can, I’ve never actually used them. The X3 bios is built for that chip and does everything you will probably ever need anyway.

The only operation I've not been able to use with the X3 BIOS is to run games from the ISO (XISO) file instead of the extracted file set.  For that, I boot the M8plus BIOS stored in one of the additional banks.

The CDROM Modchip patch to do so works with only a limited number of BIOS's and the X3 BIOS is not one of them.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1

Yes, @nikeymikey that's exactly what it can do. 

Also, you can save space by leaving the files inside the XISO image instead of extracting them.  Small files, less than one cluster (either 32KB or 64KB for most), occupy 1 cluster of space on the HDD.  So, many tiny files can start to eat up a good chunk of HDD storage space.

• Like 1

Works similar to Virtual CD/DVD software on a PC, It mounts the disc image to the D: drive so to the Xbox it thinks a DVD is loaded into the drive.  

The disc image can be split into multiple files to and mounted as one large image as the Xbox's FATX filesystem only allows for files to be 4GBs in size and a couple games go over that limit in 1 file.  

There's also a disc ripper included in the package that creates the image file(s). I think it places the mounting app's default.xbe into the folder with the image and may change the internal XBE Title to match that of the extracted game's default.xbe.  The XBE title string is the text seen in a menu entry.

Edited by KaosEngineer