OGXbox.com

Read Eeprom From XBox Motherboard With Raspberry Pi

nikeymikey

I dont know if this has been put up on here before, but i came across this during my quest to fix a v1.2 xbox that wont boot. I have at some point managed to bork the hard drive during this quest :P

Any how this webpage shows how to read an eeprom from an xbox using a Pi and a pin header normally used for mounting modchips in an xbox..

I have installed the program on my pi and got everything ready, just waiting for my header wires to arrive and then im goin to give it a go. My thinking is if i can read the xeeprom i can then use xboxhdm2.3usb  to rebuild the hard drive and install a softmod. Then hopefully this bastard will boot again :)

Heres the link ....

http://icode4.coffee/?p=22

I have done a fresh raspbian install just for this and am going to do exactly what you have suggested above 😃

Ive been able to dump and write eeproms from multiple xbox consoles tonight using this, its really simple once you have the pi setup. Now once my ide to usb adapter arrives tomorrow i can try to fix this damn broken box.

Edited by nikeymikey

11 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Question.... If i was to dump the eeprom from one xbox and write in onto another, would that effectively make them clones? Could i just swap hard drives between them and it would just work? Even if they were locked hdds??

Technically yes, but a better way to achieve this would be to rewrite the HDD key in the EEPROM of both Xboxes to all zeroes. This way you don’t have to back up (or really even know) the key to recover from failure and swap at your leisure. 

Edited by Magicaldave

17 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

Ok so, i now have 2 ide to usb adapters and still cannot get xboxhdm23usb to bloody work...... I have an brand new sata 2tb hdd that im going to try next.

Also a quick question, if i tsop an xbox do i need to lock the hdd?

Yes, gotta lock the drive. Depending on your BIOS I think you can boot HeXen or Rocky5 if you have issues with the lock.

Also, I find xboxhdm to be finicky. It has only ever worked for me using an actual IDE bus on whatever PC you’re attaching to. Make sure to try all ports if you haven’t already. Also it doesn’t support 2TB drives. 

If you have a working console with a no-dvd BiOS, You could try to pop in your desired drive and clone /w chimp.