OGXbox.com

Steel Battalion Controller Converter

Ryzee119

I've picked up a chatpad, just updating the ogx360 firmware to parse the buttons correctly. Going good! I think this will work fine. I think I've got everything I need to get this going!

Currently working:
The console thinks a Steel Battalion controller is connected. This was the hardest part in my opinion. Everything else is just testing and time.
Steel Battalion game registers inputs, including analog joysticks. pedals and digital buttons

Need to do:
Finish off Chatpad support (complete)

Easy way to configure buttons for end users so you can configure it how you prefer.

Some way to representthe LED lights, gear stick position etc.

Integrate into current firmware so you can switch between a Duke Controller and Steel Battalion Controller (complete)

Edited by Ryzee119
  • Like 4

On 2/7/2019 at 11:52 AM, Ryzee119 said:

That's awesome. Thank you, it all will help. Enjoy your vacation 😁

Perfect! Thank you. Hopefully it works and look forward to seeing some test results! 

got my controller, just have to reflash a SD card for my pitaya and test to make sure the controller works then I can start reading the buttons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neighbor said:

are you guys in the process of reading the buttons?

Yep I've got it working mostly with some guess work. There's a couple more things I would like to confirm with the enumeration process between the console and the endpoint descriptors.

I havnt got LED feedback working yet either, but the game is fully playable on my xbox with my version of the game with the wireless xbox360 controller and chatpad :) (beat the first few missions already!)

Id rather not just guess the protocol until it works because what works for me may not work for everyone! Some hard data from a real SB controller will give me alot more confidence.

I still need to test Steel Battalion Line of Contact too. Sitting back playing games for 'testing' is the best part 9_9

• Like 2

21 hours ago, neighbor said:

What about some gameplay footage?

Yep definitely will do that soon.

2U83ScA.png

Here's the current button mapping. Its obviously not going to be as immersive/intuitive as the real thing but certainly an option for those of us who dont own the real thing. They're roughly in the same locations as the real controller and I have it printed out as a cross reference and after a while I dont even need to look at it.

You rely more on the feedback from the game cockpit itself. Like if you're on fire you can tell and you must be press extinguisher.

And the gears etc. are displayed in the cockpit too so you have to rely on that instead of the LEDs on the controller

Edited by Ryzee119
Edit: Link fixed
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@KekuleThanks for the logic analyser and descriptor dump!

I have update the code on github with some new stuff based on this info.

https://github.com/Ryzee119/ogx360

The Xbox controller will now rumble to alert to user to eject, chaff, on fire and need to reload. Added some smarts to the button mapping to make it a bit easier, and I've been playing on Kai with some people alot more experienced at the game than me and received some good feedback on button mapping so have slightly tweaked that. I'm about half-way through the single player campaign and it plays pretty well after some getting used to.

Based on all this info it would be possible to recreate a full SB controller, but maybe a project in the distant future for me. Chatpad for now. 😂

I've added the Steel Battalion controller protocol notes here: https://github.com/Ryzee119/ogx360/blob/master/Firmware/PROTOCOL - Steel Battalion.md for anyone who comes across this post.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, big F said:

Epic work there. 

Always wanted to play that game after a friend bought it when it came out.

Now making a modern controller system for it is in our grasp.

A pc hotas setup would be a great starting point imo.

Thanks! 

I consider this a proof of concept really, but I am still working with a few experienced steel battalion players to get it as best as possible with the x360 controller+chat pad to make it a decent alternative. Already made alot of changes that I will push to github shortly.

90% of the ground work is done so shouldnt be much of a stretch to support any USB Hotus controller although they may have to be considered on a case by case basis.

A few possibilities for sure :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...