OGXbox.com

Steel Battalion Controller Converter

Ryzee119

Hi all,

I'm wanting to emulate the Steel Battalion Controller and to allow use of a keyboard or joystick or some other configuration which I haven't worked out yet.

Just wondering if anyone owns a Steel Battalion Controller, a >24Mhz Logic analyser, a sense of adventure and is willing to help me out!?

The information online which I have found so far is pretty limited, There's a small section at the bottom of http://xboxdevwiki.net/Xbox_Input_Devices but it is missing the rest of the interface descriptor and also doesn't have any information about the XID descriptor and capability descriptors allowing the Xbox to actually detect anything with my basic testing. (Maybe it doesn't even have them? I'm not sure yet)

What I am looking for in the first instance is:

1. A complete USB descriptor dump of the Steel Battalion Controller when plugged into a PC using something like https://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_descriptordumper.shtml

2..A Logic analyser trace of the USB data bus with the controller plugged into the OG Xbox console, probably within the Steel Battalion game or during the first 10-20 seconds of the game loading up. I'm a bit more familiar with the Saleae logic analyser software but I can probably work out whatever. But ideally it needs to be able to decode USB packets and control transfers. You can get Saleae clones for under $10 https://ebay.us/BFvaaH

3. I will take care of the rest unless I find something unusual and need further info.

I've never actually used or owned one of these controllers so any input to what a good controller configuration on a keyboard/joystick might be would help but getting it detected on the OG Xbox console is the first milestone!

Obviously can't guarantee anything, but the intent is that it would be compatible with https://github.com/Ryzee119/ogx360

Cheers!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PV544 said:

I have a steel battalion controller and am willing to help.  I do have the cable to hook the SB controller to the PC.  I do not have a Logic analyser..

Anything is a start! 🤣 thank you

8 hours ago, neighbor said:

Oh nice. The manual will atleast give me an idea of what all the buttons do! Definitely will give it a skim

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PV544 said:

The controller tester app does not recognize any key presses from the SB controller.

Yep I expected as much. Thanks for the feedback though. Good to know for sure.

I believe the reason is that the type and subtype in the xid descriptor are different than a standard controller. These are used to distinguish between an s controller, Duke controller and steering wheel etc. These can be obtained from the USB analyzer

I wonder if a steering wheel detects inputs in the controller test program 🤔

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PV544 said:

I have a steering wheel.  I have never checked it on the controller tester.  I will, once I get back from vacation.

That's awesome. Thank you, it all will help. Enjoy your vacation 😁

3 hours ago, Kekule said:

I have a controller being shipped to me soon, and assuming it works I have all the equipment to get you what you need.

Perfect! Thank you. Hopefully it works and look forward to seeing some test results! 

Thanks. Yea I looked at Cxbx reloaded source code and as I mentioned the xboxdev wiki is incomplete but a very good start.

This is straight out of the cxbx reloaded source code. Admittedly I haven't actually installed the emulator and tried it. So maybe I should give it a shot!

Capture.PNG

Edited by Ryzee119
  • Like 1

just an idea passing by:
- xbox 360 controller for both sticks and other controls required during action (D-pad for pedals with toggle function, click UP to increase acceleration, click down to decrease / gear switch)
- USB keyboard for other buttons which had no room to be assigned on the controller.

Edited by neighbor
  • Like 1