OGXbox.com

Crystal XBox's Board Rev 1.6 Options

R9anSmart

Hi,

New to OG Xbox, I have recently picked up 2 Xbox Crystal edition's (one clear and the other Crystal virgin) with board rev 1.6's (confirmed Xcalibur chip on one and the others manufacture date is later so must be also 1.6?)

When I purchased these I was hoping to do a TSOP hack on them to be able to boot backup games from and upgraded HDD (already have all reinvent adapters etc). Now that I know I have rev 1.6 boards I know that the only option is a modchip or softmod. Is there a way to boot backup games from an upgraded HDD only using softmod or does this functionality require a TSOP or Modchip?

If so is someone able to point me in the right direction for a total Xbox softmod noob. I have softmodded the console with UnleashedX via the SC hack with ease however a lot of information is outdated regarding dashboards and software and finding the most recent, supported software is proving to be some what challenging for me.

Any assistance much appreciated

IMG_20190116_230249.jpg

IMG_20190127_022617.jpg

IMG_20190127_151856.jpg

You want to use JCRocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool. Most stable, up to date softmod. If you softmodded with any other softmod, use Rocky's Quick Upgrade tool to upgrade to his softmod.

Once you are running Rocky's softmod, null your HDD key with the included NKPatcher Settings application. After that's all done, you are ready to upgrade to a bigger HDD and play installed backups.

The modern dashboards to consider are XBMC-Emustation and XBMC4Gamers. These are both also made by Rocky and are by far the best dashboards available for the Xbox to date.

You can get Rocky's softmod and Quick Upgrade tool here.

TSOP and modchip are the same yes. They're hardmods.

Hardmods are better than softmods because they remove the need to lock the HDD, they aren't required to have a DVD drive connected to boot up and they can cold boot into unsigned code, which can be used boot utility discs to fix dashboard problems, or format new HDDs without needing to clone with Chimp. Other, smaller benefits would be allowing for extra RAM (1.0-1.5 only) and the ability to customize the boot animation with some BIOSes.

I always hardmod my Xboxes (via TSOP flashing, though I have also done modchips) and I avoid 1.6 Xboxes because of the lack of a TSOP and their other limitations.

43 minutes ago, R9anSmart said:

So is there any advantage of implementing a modchip over a softmod and if so what are these?

Modchip allows you to install a new HDD without first cloning it as required by a softmod. It boots a modified BIOS that defeats many of the security protections of the console - region locking, IDE security HDD locked to the specific console's HDDKey with a computed password.

Modchip - the HDD does not have to be locked.

A softmodded system requires the HDD to be locked since it boots the stock BIOS on the motherboard.  

43 minutes ago, R9anSmart said:

Also, I'm assuming that a TSOP and modchip serve the same purpose?

Yes

3 hours ago, Forlorn Penguin said:

You want to use JCRocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool. Most stable, up to date softmod. If you softmodded with any other softmod, use Rocky's Quick Upgrade tool to upgrade to his softmod.

Done and updated however got rid of the OG dashboard from the C drive, can I restore this?

Once you are running Rocky's softmod, null your HDD key with the included NKPatcher Settings application. After that's all done, you are ready to upgrade to a bigger HDD and play installed backups.

Any video links or further guidance to this process as don't have enough knowledge to do without cocking it up?

The modern dashboards to consider are XBMC-Emustation and XBMC4Gamers. These are both also made by Rocky and are by far the best dashboards available for the Xbox to date.

Again, unsure how to set these as the default dashboard so any videos or guides?

1 hour ago, Forlorn Penguin said:

I always hardmod my Xboxes (via TSOP flashing, though I have also done modchips) and I avoid 1.6 Xboxes because of the lack of a TSOP and their other limitations.

This was the original plan however unable to as have been unlucky to pick up Crystals at a v1.6 board so trying to work the best softmod alternative

3 hours ago, Xbmcmodsforxbox said:

Ohenestly just hard mod so much more helpful if you know how to solder

My solder skills are advantage so if I am able to boot backup discs and launch games from HDD via softmod only them I'm happy. Just need to learn how it is I do this without screwing up my Xbox's

You null the HDD key in the EEPROM settings under the advanced menu in NKPatcher Settings, which is an app that's installed with Rocky's softmod.

If your Xbox is only softmodded, you have to use xbe shortcuts to redirect to a different dashboard on boot up. That, or you can place the new dashboard into one of the several locations that Rocky's boot configuration looks for, but there are a ton of them and I don't remember what they all are.

Rocky's softmod package includes an ISO for an Extras Disc. You can burn this to a disc, or better yet, save your DVD drive laser from additional stress and instead extract the contents of the ISO into a folder and FTP that to the Xbox and run it from the HDD. In the disc is a feature to reinstall the stock dashboard as an app if you really want it back.

Edited by Forlorn Penguin

2 hours ago, Forlorn Penguin said:

You null the HDD key in the EEPROM settings under the advanced menu in NKPatcher Settings, which is an app that's installed with Rocky's softmod.

Thanks for help and suggestions on this one. I have successfully softmodded both my Xbox's with Rocky'smod as suggested. Now just play around with it to get HDD installed and see what I can get it to do.

8 hours ago, Xbmcmodsforxbox said:

Yea just spend a few hours trying to soler easy things and work your way up

I'm trying to get my hands on a non-1.6 board as we speak so to do a TSOP mod and see how that goes. May end up modchipping one of these Crystals someday if that goes well. What would you suggest is the easiest modchip to install to a board that is worth the time?

Think that I may end up getting obsessed with this sooner or later. Or maybe it's already too late :)

Thanks again

Edited by R9anSmart

5 hours ago, Forlorn Penguin said:

better yet, save your DVD drive laser from additional stress and instead extract the contents of the ISO into a folder and FTP that to the Xbox and run it from the HDD

Ummm silly question maybe however can I do a FTP to the Xbox via connecting the Ethernet to my PC and sending direct down the Ethernet cable rather than going over my local network as doing small files like this is fine but not got the patience for larger transfers at them kinda speeds.

If so and pointers before I try work it out from scratch?