OGXbox.com

Removal of Dvd Player

Viggen66

Dear All,

I want to unplug or remove the DVD from my XBOX

What is the most convenient way to do this, do you remove the DVD player from the box leaving a tray open for better air flow and afterwards how do you cover the opening, or just unplug the IDE + Power cable and leave the DVD on the box.

As the combination of FTP and larger HDD, the DVD Player gets completely obsoleted.

Thanks

Edited by Viggen66

Why would you just unplug the cables but leave the DVD drive in place?  If you are going to leave it in place you should leave the cables plugged into it in case you ever need to use a boot disc or something.  Removing the drive doesn't really help with cooling.  Removing the drive leaves an ugly gap in the front of the case unless you take the front clip off the drive tray to place back in the hole.  The only reason I can see for actually removing the drive is if you are planning to do a slim case mod.

I leave the DVD drive in, but disconnect the yellow power cable so that the drive doesn't power on when the Xbox does. That way the laser never has to start and suffer additional strain for no reason.

I use a piece of electrical tape to stick the yellow cable up against the shielding of the case behind the drive to stop it from moving around inside. I just leave the IDE cable connected though.

In the unlikely event that I'll ever need to use the drive again, I'll simply just plug the power cable back in temporarily.

Forlon,

I was thinking of doing the same, since your last Hexen DVD on EVOX M8+ it doesn't check for dvd drive.

As when you IGR  you notice a small hitch/noise on the dvd drive, checking for a disc. this way you will avoid that,. but on FTP why do you need a DVD in the first place, how many times you install a new HDD on your console.